Gaming chairs have been around for a while now, but they’ve only recently become popular. Gaming chairs are ergonomic office chairs that are designed to provide maximum comfort and a stress-free gaming experience to gamers who spend hours in front of their computer screens.
It’s important to keep your gaming chair clean. A dirty and unkempt chair not only looks bad, but it can also be a breeding ground for bacteria and germs that will make you sick. If you want to avoid the health risks of sitting in a dirty chair, in this article we’ll share some tips on how to clean a gaming chair without damaging it.
- 1 Prerequisites Before Cleaning A Gaming Chair
- 2 How to Clean A Gaming Chair
- 3 Things every gaming chair owner should remember
- 4 Wrapping Up
Prerequisites Before Cleaning A Gaming Chair
A gaming chair is not just a chair, it’s an investment. Whether you bought one for your personal use or if you own a business that rents them out to customers, the last thing you want to do is damage it with improper cleaning techniques.
Before you even start cleaning your gaming chair, it’s important to check the manufacturer’s instructions. Each chair is different and some materials can be more delicate than others.
The first step is:
1. Find out what your gaming chair’s made up of?
The first thing you need to find out is what your gaming chair is made up of, usually, a gaming chair is made of either of the following materials:
- Faux leather
- PVC Leather
It is really important to know whether you own a mesh or fabric upholstery gaming chair, this is necessary because some materials cannot be washed with even mild detergent, such as mesh chair upholstery.
2. Get the appropriate cleaning supplies for your gaming chair’s material
With an appropriate cleaning supply, we mean that you should get ready with cleaning solutions that are ideal for the type of gaming chair you own. If it is a mesh gaming chair, you can use a vacuum cleaner, but if it is a PU leather, PVC leather gaming chair, you will need a damp cloth.
3. Observe your chair
The last thing you need to do before you clean a gaming chair is to understand what type of stains are there on the chair upholstery. If you find any stubborn stains, you will need rubbing alcohol-based solvents, otherwise, mild detergent or even a cloth wipe would work.
Lastly, don’t forget to check if your gaming chair has an “S” tag or a “W” tag. The “S” tag stands for a solvent-based solution, while the “W” based tag means water-based solvents. Mostly, PU leather chairs are marked with a “w” tag, so you can use mild soap and water solutions to clean the PU leather chairs.
You can even check for the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions if they came along with the gaming chair.
Having said that, let’s see how to clean a gaming chair.
How to Clean A Gaming Chair
1. Removing dust with a cloth
The very basic step on how to clean a gaming chair is to remove the top layer of surface dust with a microfiber cloth or a soft cloth, whichever is available to you. The PU faux chair can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth or a dry cloth, depending upon the dust layer. However, if you own a mesh or fabric upholstery, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to get rid of dust.
Make sure you don’t put your PU faux leather chair in direct sunlight after the cleaning process, this can degrade the leather quality.
💡Remember: Clean your gaming chair every alternate day with a soft cloth to avoid dust buildup.
2. Making a mild cleaning solution
Chair type – fabric, faux leather, PVC leather.
If you own any of the above-mentioned gaming chairs, you can try this solution. For mesh chairs, please refer to this guide. These chairs’ upholstery can be clean with a mild soap + warm water solution.
Hard detergent or soap can damage the chair’s upholstery in long run, so please don’t use it.
To prepare a cleaning solution,
- Take a bucket of warm water, and add 30-50 ml of mild liquid detergent. If you are using the powder detergent, add 2 small scoops of it to the warm bucket.
- Now mix the solution nicely until you see foam on the top.
Here’s How to clean a gaming chair with the solution
Cleaning gaming chairs is not hard, all you need to do is follow this step by step guide,
- Dip a piece of dry cloth in the cleaning solution.
- With a wet cloth, clean the sweat stains on the armrests, headrests, and the seat.
- The tough stains should be cleaned nicely. Wipe multiple times, and gently rub it, don’t put excessive pressure to remove dirt. Make sure you keep rubbing the cloth against the stain until it is removed.
- You can also clean the stainless steel components with this cleaning solution because they won’t catch rust. Just make sure to immediately remove excess cleaning solvent on the stainless steel components with a dry cloth.
- The chair wheels can be cleaned with the same solution, there’s no need to worry about cleaning them with any type of solution since the wheels are made of a hard plastic shell.
- If your gaming chair has cup holders, you can clean it in the same manner. However, the inner edges should be cleaned with a cotton swab because it can be hard to clean it with the cloth directly.
Once you are done cleaning the gaming chair with the wet cloth/solution, you can now use a dry cloth to clean the chair once again to remove the excess solution from the chair’s body.
Things every gaming chair owner should remember
Gaming chair deserves proper care if you want to keep them long-lasting. The very first thing you should remember is not to keep your PU leather gaming chair in direct sunlight, this can degrade the chair’s upholstery.
Keep your room well-ventilated, and avoid sitting for continuous hours. This is because sweat stains are too difficult to remove. If you are too worried about these tough stains, keep a paper towel beneath your butt while sitting on the gaming chair.
If you mistakenly spill anything such as coffee or cold drink on the chair upholstery, immediately clean it with the solvent.
So that’s how to clean a gaming chair. In this article, we shared the best method to prepare cleaning solvent and the correct way to clean the chair. Make sure not to put the chair in direct sunlight because this can degrade the chair’s quality.
Lastly, if there’s anything we can help you with, just let us know in the comment section.